josophia craft centre_18.jpg

2005

Sacred Heart Hall finds a new home - Nov 2005

A large crowd gathered at St Anne's School Wanganui East, on 11 November 2005 , to rededicate and open the Assembly Hall, which had been moved from its site on St John's Hill.

Pupils, staff and a considerable number of parents and parishioners, as well as a group of Sisters and the last principal, Maree Munro, gathered outside for the powhiri. Members of the school's kapa haka group took part in welcoming Bishop Peter Cullinane and members of the Diocesan team.

After the blessing all entered the Hall – happy to see the interior in excellent condition after the transporting had been done in sections.

In his welcome, Principal Peter Dunlop paid tribute to the many people involved in bringing this dream to fruition.

Brian Vaughan, Chairperson of the Board of Trustees, spoke of the legacy of the Sisters of St Joseph, and the spirit of all who had over the years used the Hall as pupils of Sacred Heart, parents, and friends. He hoped that this spirit would be kept strong in its future use by the community of St Anne's.

Bishop Peter also paid tribute to the work of the Sisters, and those particularly who had originally worked to build the Hall for the Sacred Heart College.

After unveiling a plaque acknowledging Ryman's Healthcare which gifted the Hall, and the many individuals and businesses who also contributed, the guests shared a luncheon in the school library, while the children enjoyed a barbeque.

news10.jpgSisters Anne Burke, Mary O'Kane and Francesca Bourke, former principals of St Anne's, in front of the Sacred Heart Hall. Sister Francesca was the original principal when St Anne's opened in Kawakawa Street in 1942.

Gallery / Whakaahua

Members Login